Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Maniac Mansion....Part One of Four

Ext. A forested area seemingly in the middle of nowhere.  A large mansion sits in the middle surrounded by an iron fence and a dirt pathway leading off into the woods.  The mailbox sits close by as the sun sets beyond the clouds.  Grass blows around the foot of the mailbox, a car makes its way down the pathway towards the mansion ala the opening scene to Night of the Living Dead.  It pulls up to the house quietly.
Int. Third floor, a small room where a young boy sits coloring.  Colored pictures line the walls and various other young boy toys litter the room.  The drawings on the wall resemble his family and favorite things. The sound of the car door closing  is heard from outside the window making the boy look up in excitement.
EDWARD
Dad’s home!

The boy exits the room as the camera slow zooms to his desk which is covered in drawings.
Int. First floor.  The parents are getting dinner ready and mildly arguing.

FRED
Well, once the grant goes through it’ll provide more money to the labs and I can hopefully hire someone else to take on some of the workload.

EDNA
It’s not the amount of work I’m worried about, Fred.  It’s true I don’t like how much you’ve been working yourself but money is getting really tight.  If we don’t decide on something soon….

FRED
I know.  And don’t worry. I’ve been speaking with my advisors and they are looking into giving me the tech position or maybe even transferring me to a larger facility.

EDNA
Transfer?  We just got settled here!  Poor little Edward finally made some friends too.

FRED
Yes but we don’t have a choice.  We won’t be able to survive the way we are going right now.  I don’t know what we were thinking buying this place.

EDNA
We?  You said it was a great location, things would be different, trust you.  Remember?  You only say it every time we have to up and move.  Honestly I don’t know how you got me to agree to this place.


FRED
Don’t pin this just on me!  You had just as much input in this decision!  How was I supposed to know they had plans to shrink my department and hire abroad?  Let’s just see what they say next week and then talk.

EDNA
--sigh--  I don’t know Fred.

FRED
What do you mean?

EDNA
I’ve been thinking about lea—

Edward enters the kitchen oblivious as to what has just been said.

EDWARD
Hey dad!  What are we having for dinner?

FRED
There he is!  Ham and potatoes son!  Perfect food for a growing boy!

EDWARD
Didn’t we have that yesterday?

FRED
Yes, but…..it was so good, I thought we’d have it again!

Edward looks disappointed and looks up to his mother.

EDNA
Go wash up while we set the table, Edward.  Maybe we’ll get dessert later.

The sound of dessert makes Edward smile.

EDWARD
Alright!

He leaves the room.  Edna looks at Fred with a mix of anger and hopelessness.  Fred looks back at her silently, broken.


FRED
Edna….

EDNA
I’ll get the plates.

INT. Dining room, first floor.   Family is sitting at table eating dinner.  It is silent except for the sound of silverware hitting the plates.  Edward is playing with his food, not eating much, staring sadly at the plate.

EDNA
Eat hunny, can’t take you out for dessert if you don’t eat your dinner.

EDWARD
I’m sick of ham and mashed potatoes.

EDNA
Well that’s all we have right now.  We’ll go shopping for food in a few days, once we get some more money.

The room goes silent again.  Edna looks at Fred and then back down at her plate.

EDNA
Speaking of…..mommy is going to be working a bit more now to help daddy make some more money so we can afford to stay here and get different food.  You think you’ll be okay here after school by yourself for a few hours until one of us comes home?

FRED
Edna you don’t have to work extra hours, I told you I’ll handle it.  Next week I’ll have an answer and then we won’t have money problems anymore.

EDNA
Yes but you’ve said that before.  I just want to be sure.  I won’t have us moving again.

EDWARD
We’re moving?

FRED
No buddy,  not yet.  I’ll know for sure next week.



EDNA
We aren’t moving!  Don’t worry about it Edward, you just keep up with your schoolwork and everything will be fine.

FRED
Don’t lie to him Edna.  There is a possibility we might be moving but we won’t know until next week.

EDNA
No Fred!  We aren’t moving!  Not again!  I refuse to do it!  If it means that we have to work more hours then so be it but I’m not putting him through this his whole life!

FRED
His whole life?  We’ve moved three times!  And one of those was just a few blocks away!  You aren’t working more, I’ll handle it, just trust me.  End of discussion!

Edward looks down sadly at his plate and prods the potatoes.  Edna is clearly holding back a tidal wave of anger.

EDWARD
We aren’t going to get dessert are we?

EDNA
Yes.  Yes we are.  You deserve it.  I’ll take you when you’re done.  I’ll be upstairs.

Edna  angrily throws her napkin down and leaves the table towards the door.

FRED
Edna don’t leave.  Edn---Everything is going to be fine, look I’m sorry!

Edna slams the door and the room once again becomes silent.  The two sit quietly and Edward begins to tear up.  Sounds of thunder begin outside, getting louder and stronger.
Ext. Wind starts to blow harder and clouds gather.  The thunder rumbles louder.
Int. Edna’s room.  She is sitting down crying and looking at her wedding ring in her hand.
Ext. Clouds cover as the sky lights up and a large meteor falls from the sky and burns its way down to land in the yard of the mansion.  In a few moments the porch light comes on.  Voices are heard from inside.

EDNA
What was that!?

FRED
I don’t know, sounded like something crashed outside!

EDNA
Where’s Edward?  Is he alright?

FRED
Yeah, he’s with me.  We’re going out to see what it was.

EDNA
You are not!  Wait a minute!  I’m coming with you!

Ext. Front yard.  The family cautiously walks over to the area where the meteor hit.  Edna stays far away holding Edward close.

EDNA
Careful!  Edward stay with me!

Fred walks to the hole in the ground.

EDNA
Fred wait!  It could be dangerous!

FRED
Edna, please!

A concerned yet very angered expression spreads across Edna’s face.  Fred carefully approaches the hole and slowly looks in.  Sizzling smoke emanates from the crater.  Fred peers closer down inside.

EDNA
What is it?

Fred looks confused yet terrified.

FRED
Oh….my….god….

The camera pans down to the top of the meteor and shows a glimpse of two tentacles around it.  The smoke increases and fills the screen while  the opening  titles begin.
Opening credits show over various pictures and newspaper clippings showing the future timeline of events.  The family investigating the crater, taking the tentacles and meteor indoors, experimenting on them, newspaper coverage of the meteor strike, Fred slowly going mad, pink slips from their jobs, the family changing over time, different lab experiments, kidnappings and disappearances, police report headlines, and the mansion falling into disrepair.

Twenty Years Later
Ext. College campus in the fall.  It is Halloween and posters and decorations are staples to telephone poles all over about that night’s football game.  Students are all over and a few are being let out of class including Dave.  Dave walks to the parking lot while being greeted by a couple of fellow students as he walks.  He reaches his car just as a beautiful cheerleader runs up to him, hugging him.

SANDY
Attack hug!  How was class, Davey baby?

DAVE
Same as always.  Only fell asleep six times today!

SANDY
--giggles--  That’s not fair!  I wish I had a sleeping class….must not be in my major….

DAVE
No, Sandy, it’s not actually a slee—

SANDY
Warm-ups are going to be soo boring today.  I know all of the drills off by heart, I don’t see why we have to keep doing them.

DAVE
Well, the big game is tonight so they are just making sure you guys are all ready to go.

SANDY
It’s stupid.  Halloween is tonight and I want candy!

DAVE
I think we’re too old to go trick or treating, I’ll just buy you some.

SANDY
That’s no fun…I want to dress up!  Speaking of fun, let’s get together before the game and fool around.

DAVE
Are you gonna have enough time?  The game isn’t too long after your practice.

SANDY
We’ll just pretend it’s for good luck, you can pick me up in this sexy car of yours.

The car is parked next to them and is an older beat up model.  Upon the finish of her sentence, the hood ornament falls off the front of the hood.

DAVE
Oh yeah, real sexy….

Sandy gives a small cute giggle and kisses Dave.  While they embrace, they are approached by a camera lens.  The scene takes a POV of the lens and walks towards the couple.  The flash goes off.

MIKE
Ooooh, public display of affection!  Going to take everything in my power not to put that on the front page of the school paper.  I can see it now, headline, Casanova Davenstein, the smoothest guy of the parking lot.

SANDY
Don’t you dare, Michael!

MIKE
--laughing--  Don’t worry I want people to actually buy the paper.  Here, I’ll take a good one just for you guys.

DAVE
That’s alright man.  Where’s Wendy?

Sandy poses on Dave while Michael takes a photo.  A shot of the photo coming out with Sandy posing on it is shown with writing appearing on it saying ’85.

MIKE
She’s on her way out.  She had to finish copying some newspaper clippings from the last couple of  months.

SANDY
You guys still coming to the game tonight?

MIKE
Yeah, we have to.  Wendy is writing an article for the paper and she’s dragging me along to take some shots for her.

Wendy arrives from across the street and joins the group, standing next to Michael.

WENDY
Good ones I hope.

MIKE
Well, I only shoot masterpieces so don’t worry.

WENDY
--small laugh—
Riiiiight

SANDY
Alright, I’m off to lame-o practice.  See you afterwards….?

DAVE
Sure, I’ll pick you up at five.

MIKE
Oooh, I think I’ll take pictures of that instead tonight.

Wendy elbows Mike.

WENDY
Gross on top of gross.

Sandy giggles, slightly embarrassed.

SANDY
See you at the game, bye!

Sandy bounces off away from the group.

WENDY
We’re gonna get going too, we have to get this film equipment back to the store before it closes.  So we’ll see you tonight.

DAVE
Alright, see ya then.

Wendy and Mike walk off and Dave attempts to open his car door when another student dressed in black slides over onto the hood over to Dave.

SYD
Look at this guy, dashing out of school without saying bye to me.

DAVE
Sorry Syd, just couldn’t take that class anymore.

SYD
And after everything I gave up to raise you.

DAVE
What?

A red head rocker girl comes into view from behind Syd.

RAZOR
Had no idea Dave was your secret love child.

SYD
Oh yeah, I had to get rid of him though because he was just too average.

RAZOR
Whatever, just as long as I don’t have to have ‘the talk’ with him.

SYD
Woah.  Woah.  What do you know about the talk?

DAVE
Ha Ha, you guys are hilarious.

SYD
--smiles--  Hey you still coming to our show on Saturday?  What am I saying?  Of course you are!  How could you miss the fantastic debut of ‘Razor and the Scummettes’?!

Razor strikes a rocker pose and a small bit of guitar riffs play out loud from nowhere.  Dave looks around to see where it came from.

DAVE
Alright…um…first, could you get off my car please Mr.Stardust and second, I have a date at Bruders with Sandy that night.

SYD
Could’ve sworn you….promise…unless you….hate…..Razor

Razor gives a sad puppy face to Dave.

DAVE
--small laugh—I don’t hate anyone.  You know I love your sound…soul…brother…

Razor and Syd look at one another as Dave fails to be hip.

DAVE
--sigh—Look, we won’t be out long and I’ll swing by with her and check you guys out.

SYD
Rockin’.  Lookin forward to seein you there.

Razor hands Dave a flyer for the concert.

RAZOR
Here, in case you somehow forget.

DAVE
I won’t forget…but thanks…you gonna be at the game tonight?

SYD
Us?  Why?

Syd looks at Razor over his glasses.

SYD
I’ve got way better things to ‘do’ tonight.

RAZOR
Very subtle.  No, we won’t be there.  Say hey to Sandy for us though.

DAVE
Will do, have a good one.

Dave gets into his car and starts it up.

SYD
Oh we certainly will.  A good few.

RAZOR
Shut up!!

Dave smiles and drives out of the parking lot.  As he makes his way out of the college campus, he notices a nerdy student named Bernard walking out of the building struggling to carry his books.  A larger jock walks by and knocks the books out of his hands, laughs, and walks away.  Dave pulls over to a stop and shakes his head.

DAVE
--sigh--- It’s like he asks for it.

Bernard is gathering his books off of the ground as Dave walks up to help him.

BERNARD
---muttering to himself--- Didn’t even do anything…

DAVE
Let me help you Bernard, those guys are jerks.

BERNARD
You’d think that after high school they’d minimize their efforts to ruin my existence.

DAVE
Just forget about them, you’ll probably own them in a few years anyways.  You’ve got a lot to carry, let me give you a ride home.

BERNARD
That’s quite alright, you don’t have to burden yourself with me, I’ll be fine.

DAVE
I don’t mind, it’s on the way anyways, come on.

Bernard looks at Dave’s car and is a bit apprehensive.  The camera pulls to the car and the hood ornament falls of the car again.  Bernard gives in.

BERNARD
Well, okay.  But if you could please drive the speed limit and…and…and don’t forget to secure your safety harness because as…as you well know, sixty-two percent of all vehicular related fatalities are the direct result of improperly used or neglected safety restraints.

DAVE
Yes mom, I promise.

The two situate themselves inside the car and Dave adjusts the driver side mirror revealing a shaggy haired surfer in bare feet waving his hand and running up to the car.

JEFF
Yo, wait up man!

DAVE
---under his breath---  Great…

Without hesitation, Jeff jumps into the back seat.  A vacant expression can barely be seen through his helmet of hair covering most of his face.

JEFF
---out of breath--- Phew…made it.

DAVE
Hello Woodie, please…join us.

BERNARD
Afternoon Jeffrey.

JEFF
Awwww dude!  Don’t call me that, makes me feel like a child.

BERNARD
You’re right.  I didn’t mean to imply that you were exhibiting infantile behavior.  That would be too nice…..Woodie.

Bernard gives a snorty laugh to himself.  Jeff is clearly lost.

JEFF
Wait…what?

DAVE
Alright, alright, we’re leaving.  I’ve got plans.

JEFF
Thanks for the ride.  Pretty nice car, when did you get it?

DAVE
…um…two years ago.  I’ve driven you home at least a hundred times.

JEFF
Really? ………….That’s a lot of times.

DAVE
I know….about a hundred too many.

BERNARD
Do you go to class in those shorts?

JEFF
Class?

BERNARD
Never mind….

The car drives off down the road away from the campus, the sun is setting in the distance.
Later that evening.
Ext.House on a small street with a large tree next to the window, the moon is out.
Int. A girl’s room, a bit of a mess, lit only by the moonlight outside, a ceiling fan spins slowly above.  Sandy and Dave are in the bed just finished making love.

SANDY
Phew, I think I might be too pooped to cheer tonight.

DAVE
Flattery won’t get you out of the game tonight.

SANDY
It’ll be worth it if we do it again.

Intermittent during this scene, cutaway flashes of a dungeon and a girl tied up flash briefly.  The first being a shot of hands being tied down in darkness.

DAVE
You can’t miss, your grades are bad enough as it is.

SANDY
Hey, what do you mean bad enough?  I’m trying!  You think I’m stupid don’t you?!

Another flash of a girl being tied over the mouth, she is terrified.

DAVE
Stupid?..........no.

SANDY
Not everyone can be as brainy as your friend Barnyard.

DAVE
Bernard.  But all he does every waking moment is study.  Shocks me every time I see him outdoors.

A flash of sharp tools being handled with the table out of focus in the background.

DAVE
You aren’t stupid.  I’m just looking out for you.  You better get ready for the game.  Maybe we can go for this again afterwards.

SANDY
Yeah right, like I’m gonna let you now!

DAVE
I deserved that.  Get dressed, I’ll drop you off on my way home.

They share a small laugh.  Sandy is now out of bed wearing only a long shirt.  The room is quiet.

SANDY
I’m not stupid.

DAVE
Never said you were.  Sexy though.

SANDY
Yeah yeah.

She throws a pillow at him, the camera switches to POV as the pillow covers the frame to black.

INT. Dark shadowy laboratory.
A girl is strapped to a table horrified.  A man in a labcoat is readying equipment over her.

FRED
Stop squirming.  It’s not going to make this any better.  Unless you want the punishment again.

The girl’s eyes go wide and tears run down her face.

FRED
No?  I didn’t think so.  You should be excited.  This is going to be a very interesting test.  It…..will be pleased.

The girl tries to scream but it is muffled.  Hands and feet try to move but are strapped down.

FRED
What’s that?  Awfully hard to understand you.  Perhaps the straps are too tight?  Although…your fingers are a very lovely shade of purple.

The girl’s hands tremble as Fred lifts a silver cutting device.

FRED
Now if you’ll just relax, this is going to hurt….a lot.

He brings the device close and we only see the shadows on the wall as he cuts into her.  She screams and her body convulses before finally becoming still and lifeless.  Her hand falls over the table, hanging, blood covered.

FRED
Damn.  That wasn’t supposed to happen yet.  The moron moved and damaged the organs.  I’m going to need a replacement.  And soon.

A door at the other end of the lab glows and whispers are heard through the air.

FRED
Yes that’s true….not a bad idea…..stop for ice cream on the way back too…

The door glows bright.

Later that night
Ext.Neighborhood near campus, football field around corner.  The sounds of the crowd can be heard.
Dave, Jeff, and Bernard are walking down the sidewalk towards the field.

BERNARD
So as you can see, even with all the exercise and calisthenics, the actual feats and physical prowess accomplished, especially on rooftops, are just not applicable to real world physics and human limitations.  So, in short, you could never be Batman.

JEFF
Whatever, when I grow up to be Batman, see if I ever save you.

DAVE
I can’t believe you just had that conversation.

Dave looks straight  into the camera.

DAVE
The things I put up with.

BERNARD
Why am I here again?

DAVE
Because, you gotta get out of the house more.  Get some sun.  You’re practically see-through.

BERNARD
The sun isn’t up though.

DAVE
Well then get some moon.

JEFF
I mooned someone yesterday.

Dave tilts his head back to look at the sky and sighs to himself.
The group comes up to the entrance of the game, the crowd noise becomes louder.  The game is about to start and players are being announced.
A shadowy figure is watching  from the shadows across the street.

DAVE
I’m gonna go say hi to Sandy before the game starts.  Try not to moon anyone while I’m gone.

BERNARD
Wait, what are we supposed to do?  I’ve never been to a social sporting event previously.

JEFF
---chuckling to himself---  Mooning.

DAVE
I don’t know.  I’ll be like five minutes, relax!  Study….something.

BERNARD
Not funny.

DAVE
---smiling--- I’ll be right back!

Dave leaves and Bernard and Jeff stand beside the bleachers looking out of place.

JEFF
Let’s go surf some waves, I’m bored.

BERNARD
There isn’t a body of water anywhere in the vicinity.

JEFF
Then why am I wearing swim trunks?

BERNARD
………………..I’m going to go walk around.

The two walk away as the figure from the shadows walks past in the background.
Dave is standing at the top of the stairs whistling to himself waiting for Sandy to come up from the locker room.
Down the stairs in the girls locker room, the cheerleaders are ready and leaving one by one.  Sandy is running behind.

LINDSEY
Did you finish that book for Lit?

MANDY
Almost, I think I’m on the last chapter.

LINDSEY
I don’t understand it at all.  There isn’t even a clock or an orange in it.

MANDY
I know!  I might just skip next class.

LINDSEY
You think it’s gonna get any colder?  Don’t know if I want to wear my jacket or not.

MANDY
That’s all I’ve got.  I left my cheer pants at Alex’s.

LINDSEY
Oh yeah?  And what were they doing at Alex’s?

MANDY
Na-ah, my lips are sealed.

LINDSEY
I bet that’s not all those lips were doing                !

MANDY
Oh my god, shut up!  ---laughs---

Mandy playfully hits Lindsey and they grab their stuff and begin to leave the locker room.

MANDY
Better hurry Sandy, see you up there!

SANDY
Yep, right behind you, Mandy.

The others leave and the locker room is extremely silent.  Sandy is alone finishing up.  The door to the room quietly closes and the camera pans past the rows of lockers until it reaches Sandy.  She zips her bag up as one of the locker doors down the row opens slowly with a creak.
Outside, Dave is waiting still as the other girls come up the stairs.

LINDSEY
Hey Dave, she’ll be up.  Running late again.

DAVE
Not surprising.

In the locker room, Sandy looks over to the open locker a little fearful.  She closes her locker and slowly walks over to the open locker door.  She peers inside but sees nothing out of the ordinary.

SANDY
Huh…..creepy…..awww, those socks are soooo cute!

She closes the locker and hears whispers from behind the row of lockers.  She peeks around the corner, very scared.  She sees Fred dragging the body of a cheerleader down the row.  Sandy gives a small gasp.

SANDY
---gasp!--- Anna….

Fred is taken by surprise, eyes wide, dropping the cheerleader’s body to the floor, he tries to play it off casually.

FRED
OH! …..um…..she…..fell…..?

Sandy walks backwards slowly, a horrified expression on her face.  The cheerleaders eyes have been mutilated and blood covers a few spots on her body.

SANDY
Wh….what have you….

FRED
Let me explain….this…..well this is probably what it looks like….

SANDY
Her…eyes….

FRED
Well that does tend to happen when you’re dead….I mean…dead tired….oh, screw it.

Fred grabs Sandy by the wrist so she cannot run and she opens her mouth to yell.

FRED
I’m afraid you’ve seen too much.

SANDY
Help!!!

Outside, Dave is beginning to wonder what is taking Sandy so long.

DAVE
Where the hell is she?

Curiosity overtaking him, he walks down the stairs to go check on her.

FRED
Quit struggling!  Seriously, it makes this a lot easier.



Fred has Sandy in his arms, she can’t escape and is dragged down to the other end of the locker room.  In her struggle, she loses a shoe and a hair tie.  He drags her away and up the back stairs to the exit door.  The second the door shuts, Dave arrives at the locker room door, he opens it a little and calls inside.

DAVE
Sandy?  You in here?

He doesn’t hear anything and continues into the room.

DAVE
Sandy?

The room is eerily silent and Dave cautiously walks further into the room looking for Sandy.  After looking around he eventually comes across the body of the cheerleader Fred had been dragging.

DAVE
Oh my god!  What the hell….Sandy!?  Sandy are you in here!?

Quickly, he searches for her, finding her shoe on the ground near the stairs at the back of the room.  Running to the stairs he looks up and sees her hair tie near the top of the staircase.

DAVE
Oh no…..

He runs up the stairs and opens the door leading outside to the back, there is a dirt clearing and a road leading down a tree lined pathway.  A man is throwing a struggling cheerleader, Sandy, into the back of an old Edsel.

DAVE
Sandy!  Hey!  Get away from her!  What the hell are  you doing?!

Fred throws Sandy into the car and looks straight at Dave.

FRED
Sorry, I kind of need her brain for something.  It’s complicated.

DAVE
What?

Dave runs at the car but Fred has already gotten inside and drives away before Dave can reach him.  He skids to a stop in the dirt, the dust from the car tires surrounding him.  The car getting smaller into the distance.

DAVE
No!!  Sandy!!  Come back here!!.............crap.

Dave is visibly upset and terrified, staring at the car as it disappears into the distance.

EXT.Football field.  A referee blows his whistle and we now join Wendy and Michael on the sidelines.  Michael is taking photos while Wendy is writing in her notebook.  Bernard and Jeff have since joined them.

WENDY
This game is a lot less interesting than I thought it would be.

MIKE
You wanted to cover this.

WENDY
I didn’t know Conway would get injured ten minutes into the game!

MIKE
Well now you’re stuck with it and dragged me into it too so just make the best of it.

Michael clicks away, Bernard is behind him looking over his shoulder.

BERNARD
You know, you may achieve greater visual clarity if you tilted the camera counter clockwise a few degrees and adjusted the shutter speed to capture more luminescence from the flood lights.

MIKE
Yeah, thanks Bernard but….I think I know what I’m doing.

BERNARD
Just providing information.

MIKE
It’s kind of my major so….I know a thing or two.

BERNARD
Noted.

Wendy smiles as the two talk and the referee blows the whistle signaling a penalty, the crowd is visibly upset with the call.

JEFF
This bites, man.  I’m outta here.

MIKE
Bernard, your date is leaving.

BERNARD
My what?

Suddenly Dave comes running straight up to the group, grabbing Jeff by the shoulders.

DAVE
They took her!  They took Sandy, we have to go to the police!

JEFF
Uh……I’m not Sandy?

DAVE
Someone kidnapped her!  I saw them take her!  We have to go to the police!!

BERNARD
Oh no, I’ve been through this scenario before.  Let me remind everyone that it is Hallow’s Eve, night of pranks and mischief.

MIKE
Oh yeah, good one Dave, but we have to finish this story for Monday.  Nice acting though.

DAVE
I’m not joking damn it, I need help!

Nobody moves or shows any sign of concern, Wendy slightly looks up from her notebook.

DAVE
Fine, great friends you are, I’ll be at the station!


Dave runs off out of the stadium in a panicked sweat towards the direction of the police station.

1 comment:

  1. I'll probably be reading this throughout my work day lol got through part 1 and I love it! Can I do the voice of Wendy too? I feel like I could do both Lol. This is so good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete