The train shuddered as it readied itself for its journey. The foreman came along up and down the cars checking tickets to make sure those who were supposed to be there were there. A few notable more wealthy patrons only peeked their faces out so as not to mix with the lower class and went right back to the privacy of their room. The two were pointed to a room in one of the middle cars and bid a very well trip. Meg was trying to hide her excitement and fascination with the new experience all the while watching Edward to make sure she didn't commit anything that was frowned upon. The sound inside the room was at a much lower volume away from the hussle and bussle up and down the halls. The first thing he did was check the window and door frame and any possible way they could be watched or broken into. The beds seemed stirdy enough and the one window between gave a nice view of the pouring down rain outside. They didn't have any luggage with them to stow so they immediately took up residence near the window to watch the platform disappear into the distance once the train started moving.
Down the hall, the man with the paper had followed them on and took notice of which cabin they were in. He showed his ticket to the foreman and entered his own cabin.
She took up his hand while they watched the drops cover the pain of glass. "Thanks again for all of this, I know I keep saying it but I would not have made it this far without you. You've rescued me and made me feel truly wanted. It isn't often in my life that I've been able to feel that way."
He smiled at her and took off his coat. "To be honest, I've never really felt this way. All these years doing this, it was always job first and the mission. At the end of the day if I was alive, then that was the reward and I would go another day. Sure there were others who peeked my interest and gave me some thought but there was something inside of me that once I saw you, just....clicked."
She was blushing now and noticed his finger was caressing hers, it sent chills up her body.
They sat down at the small table under the window, still holding hands.
"When I was younger I would always listen to the radio shows of the detectives. It always fascinated me how they were able to find the clues and track down the bad guys no matter what they did. For a little bit it was almost something I wanted to grow up to be."
"What changed your mind?"
"Life happens. You grow up you experience different things and it shapes you. I went from wanting to be a tough private eye to..." She looked out the window realizing how far from her dream she actually ended up. "To a girl who was working with one so she could live day to day."
"Life will always throw something at you that you aren't expecting. Hell, I kind of making a living on that. Being a detective isn't like the radio shows though. I've had the end of my life looking straight at me in the eyes more times than I'd like to remember. It takes a toll on you and it's upsetting seeing just how bad it really can be out there."
"Still, it must feel good when you finally catch them."
"Sure, yeah you sleep better once you know one more scumbag is off the streets. But what does it leave you with. I've been doing this for a number of years and I'm still in the same position I started, only, more alone."
She squeezed his hand. "Not anymore."
The train gave a hard lurch and started moving.
"Well, here we go. Shouldn't be too long, we might be able to catch some rest in the meantime."
She watched the station pull away and the city start to get smaller as she peered out the window. Rain caught up with them and blasted the window. At this point it would be weird to see the outside world when it wasn't raining.
"My family never took any trips. I'm almost embarrassed to say that this is my first time on a train."
"It's nothing special. Just something to get from point A to point B."
"Still, it's interesting to someone who has never been to any point Bs."
They looked out the window for a time, enjoying each other's company. They chatted about family and past experiences all the while watching the rain whisk them through the country side. The sun was setting where it could be seen through the clouds and the lights came on inside the train. The man a few cabins down was biding his time waiting for night fall before he went investigating his prey. He adjusted his suit and placed a weapon in the inside pocket of his jacket. He stared in the mirror at the person he had become.
The beds were pulled out across from one another and while there were two she almost insisted that they both lay on one.
"I don't want to sleep away from you anymore."
He smile while undressing. "You don't have to twist my arm."
The two joined under the covers and turned off the lights in the cabin. The only light source at that point was any moonlight that was able to fend through the rain clouds and shine through. The tracks weren't the smoothest and caused some slight bumpiness as they went but once they were together, she held on to him as if she let go she would fall for a lifetime.
"You are a tight squeezing sleeper."
"Sorry, I feel so much better when I do."
She reached down below his waist to feel him rigid.
"Plus it seems like you don't seem to mind as much."
She looked up at him and he couldn't hide the smile on his face. His body was going off on its own, not like he was in disagreement though. She climbed up and they began kissing, his hands through her hair and her hands investigating his body. The bumps of the train added an extra element and the darkness created shadows around the walls.
The suited man sat straight up in his bed, he had timed this well enough so that most of the train should be asleep right now. He rechecked to make sure he had his weapon and then peeked out of his doorway. There was nobody in the halls and as hard as he could listen he heard nothing. They had no idea how easy they had made this for him. The boss would congratulate him in the best way possible. The creaks of the floor as he walked were masked by the sound of the train rolling through the hills. He followed the doors until he reached the one he noted to be the couple's. There were noises inside that sounded faintly pleasurable. What a way to catch them, in the most vulnerable state. He pulled a cloth out of his pocket and wrapped it around the handle to hide any fingerprints and readied himself to dive into the room.
"Edward, you are the angel of my nightmares."
Feeling flattered he almost couldn't think of what to say next. "Meg, you are why I can still get up in the morning." Not his best but he was a little distracted.
The handle of the door was turning slowly and she was getting louder. The train made a big jump as the track went through a more angular bend in the road and the door flew open.
TO BE CONTINUED
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment