The door to the small cafe hits a small bell hung overhead that rings out over the business to notify their entrance. It doesn't place too much focus on them as they enter but it is still a little jarring considering how much in the past week they've tried to keep a low profile. The waitress at the bar nods a small hello to the couple and they walk slowly to the back to a booth away from most of the patrons. The atmosphere is nice and calm and for a moment it reminds Meg of when she was back on the train and she was able to sit and look out the window at the rainy world instead of running around through it. The diner seemed to be far out away from anywhere where they may have been noticed which allowed her to take a much needed deep breath that she realized she hadn't taken for quite some time. A radio played an NPR station and some no name rambled on about the state of the country while another interrupted when he could to explain an opposing view. Edward took off his coat and placed it in the space of the seat next to him and handed her a menu.
"May as well fill up as nice as we can here, not sure when we will be able to do this again. This out in the open."
"I hate the feeling that anyone anywhere may be one of them spying and watching me."
"They don't have feelers in every corner of the country but you are right to be careful. I have a good feeling about here, it isn't on the path of where we were going and I think we are due for a break."
She smiled and scanned through the menu. A lot of breakfast items with a few bigger entrees that seemed a bit too big for her liking at the moment. A blonde waitress stepped over to the table with a small notepad in her hand. "Can I get y'all anything to drink before you order?"
"Water please."
"Um, yeah I'll just have a water as well."
She wrote in her pad and sauntered away.
"Even though we rest frequently where we can I still feel run down. I really hope the coast provides what we need. You're sure your contact knows the whereabouts of the case?"
"Positive. I don't want to hand it right over though. Once we have the case we will have a little bit of leverage over them, we can try to use that to our advantage."
"I don't know dew drop, they didn't seem to care if we had the case or not on the train. He looked ready to wipe you out."
"It's all threats and part of the intimidation game. They figure they can scare anyone into doing anything and revealing anything if they apply some pressure. Who wouldn't give up information in exchange for their lives?"
"True. I mean, I basically did that so..."
"Yeah but you truly weren't lieing. You may have had the case at some point but it wasn't because they were looking for it."
She watched the various cars drive by out the window and looked around the diner at the fellow patrons. The lonely man at the bar who had a chat all day with the waitress, she took care of him and knew him by name and when he would come in regularly. The elderly couple in the corner who had been coming there for years and it became their spot, the man still looked into her eyes lovingly. The businessman who stopped here to and from work to have his coffee and meal while he read the paper for any news and stock tips. The others in the room would probably see them as a random couple who looked like they were hiding something or up to no good. She saw a girl who was caught up in something she never asked for but was sitting in the company of someone she had fallen in love with. Without his detective hat on she could see his blue eyes unobscured, something she could stare at for hours. She didn't hate her auburn eyes but if she had the choice she would trade him eyes in a heartbeat. Those blue eyes were scanning the menu in front of him and she couldn't help but drift off into a fantasy while she sat in her seat. The housewife who took care of the home and did her own personal projects that she enjoyed while he was out doing his detective work. She would worry that something would happen to him but knew she was in safe hands as he was good at his job. He would return at night, flowers in hand and never let her lips go without a kiss for long. His job allowed for many trips and she was able to see the world, eventually Paris where out of character he would get down on one knee and ask the ultimate question. Being married to him would be a much grander adventure full of life and wonder than it would be now running from the mob for her life, although it was bringing her closer than she ever thought from that day when she saw the lone gunman on the roof across the way.
"Do you know what you want?"
"Huh?" She had drifted for so long she forgot where she was. "Oh, um, yeah I think just the omelette."
"Sounds good, I may go breakfast as well."
With their orders made they sat together trading the occasion story about one another and what was a hiding spot to eat turning into almost a faux date that she enjoyed immensly. A part of her wished that was where it was going and when they were done he would drive her home and they would share a kiss before she went into the house skipping. The food was alright and did the job of filling her up, she could already feel her energy coming back to her.
"Do you think I'll still be pretty when I'm old?"
"Better. I'll make sure I remind you then."
He was planning to be there in the long haul, her stomach jumped up and down.
The small bell dinged by the door and the two gang members walked in. A large burly man and a thinner one at his side. They took up residence at the bar and seemed to be chatting to themselves but not getting along super well.
Edward looked up and noticed them immediately. "Shit."
"What?"
"Don't turn around, just sit and act normal."
"What's wrong? What happened?"
"Two more goons just walked in. Of all the damn places, how the hell did they make it here?"
"What do we do?"
He thought for a moment. They had to figure a way to get out without them noticing. Being in the booth that they were it was an impossibility to get out.
"Look just order what you need to and eat so we don't miss the train. I swear it's like taking a child around with me. Let me know if I gotta wipe your ass later too."
"Shut up man, I'm hungry so sue me. I won't be long."
They ordered and sat in silence, aggravated with one another.
"Meg, when I say, I need you to go the bathroom."
"Right here?"
"What? No, go into the bathroom. There should be a window, climb out of it and then I'll meet you back there."
"What if there isn't one?"
"There is, I noticed from outside."
"That's good for privacy."
"I'll do what I can in here, worst comes to worst I'll have to lure them into the bathroom and knock them out in there."
"Be careful."
He watched the two men intently and the thinner one began scarfing down his meal.
"Now."
She carefully gathered herself and walked to the bathroom nearby, taking care not to look in their direction and hide herself as best as possible. She pushed the door open into a restroom that hadn't been cleaned in who knows how long and she had to take a moment to stop herself from gagging. Her relief came when she spotted the window and noticed it was open enough that she could fit her short self out easily. It took a small climb but she managed to squeeze out and hid next to the wall of the building watching around her and waiting.
Inside, Edward slipped his coat and hat on and one of the knives from the table up his sleeve. Now he had to play the waiting game. Hopefully his thin friend at the bar had a weak bladder.
"Are you finished? We have to go."
"yeah yeah, I'm good, just let me drain the lizard and we'll be on our way."
"Well hurry up."
Notes got up and whistled his way to the bathroom. Edward ducked over his seat pretending to be reaching from something under the table to obscure his face from Notes as he walked by. He entered the restroom knowing none the wiser. This was his chance, Edward stood up and followed making sure the burly man didn't catch notice of him entered behind his friend. When he was safely inside the restroom he saw two feet under the nearest stall. Great, going to have to take him out while he's emptying his bowels. Oh well, a necessary evil. Making his way to the stall, he stopped in front and knocked on the door.
"Occupado buddy."
He knocked again.
"Yo unless you want a pretty view of my dick, get the hell away from the door asswad."
Edward knocked once more.
"What the hell is your issue man, I told you I was...."
Edward kicked the door open and lunged at Notes. He yelled in surprise with his arms reaching up to stop him. The knife from the table slipped into Edward's hand and he stabbed with force into Note's neck. After some lashing about, his body went limp and was left, pants down, on the toilet. Dead. The room was quiet and the sound of keys hit the ground. Edward picked up a set of car keys. "Well thank you, this will do nicely."
He fixed himself up in the mirror and left the room. It wasn't hard getting to the front door as the burly one was sitting at the bar, head in hands, trying to wait for Notes without getting pissed off. The bell dinged as Edward left and he looked around the area for the beautiful girl he had been away from for too long. Out of the corner of his eye he saw her notice him from around the corner and come running over. "You did it!"
"Yeah and it gets better."
He dangled the keys in front of her.
"Are those?"
"Our ticket to the coast. No more walks in the rain through forest."
She leapt up and kissed him passionately. "I love you."
"I love you more darlin."
He scooped her up and they matched the keys to the car and got in. He started the engine and pulled out of the parking lot. They resumed their trek on the open road.
As they pulled away, the burly man came running out of the diner with the waitress and owner in tow. "Hey you asshole! That's my car and you killed my friend!!!"
They disappeared into the distance as the couple accelerated away. She let herself get comfy in the passenger seat and held his hand. "You continue to impress me and make me fall harder for you."
He smiled. "You are worth every impressing situation my love. Get comfy over there sweetheart, we are on the road to our happiness now."
She squeezed his hand and did her nose crinkling smile and laid her head back. The two lovers sped down the road to their destination. The coast wasn't long and now the wind blew around them that almost made them feel like they were flying. They survived another encounter hand in hand with smiles on their faces and love in their hearts.
The burly man practically destroyed the pay phone he found inside the diner. "No, he killed him and took the car. I'm stuck here."
"You incompetent shits. I'll have someone come find you. I guess I'll have to make the call to the Reds."
"Boss, look, we don't have to get them involved, we have this."
"Shut the hell up, you've caused enough shit. I'm calling them in. Wouldn't have to if you two weren't useless little pricks."
The line went dead. The burly man slammed the receiver down and cursed to himself. They were going to pay. They may have the jump now but it would only be a matter of time before their luck ran out.
TO BE CONTINUED........
xoooxoxoxoxoxxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment