The wind was so free, able to drift and fly wherever it pleased. Nothing could hold it back whether it be the limbs of tall trees or the reaches of skyscrapers. A delicate hand rode the waves of the wind and felt the gentle touch through her fingers. The sun still refused to shine as the trees waved to the calmed passenger. She took solace where she could get it, admiring the environment and allowing the push of the breeze to carry her hand up and down with every gust. The city contained her, not giving her the satisfaction of being able to experience what laid beyond its walls. now that she had escaped there wasn't anything to stop her from seeing what the world offered. Her head laid back against the seat relaxing her muscles, her eyes darting from one spectacular sight to the next. No bump or curve could rip her from her hypnotic trance, just her thoughts of what her new future might hold. Her other hand was exploring the canvas of the driver's. It felt tough from years of tracking fugitives and the random fist fight but it held within it a tenderness that only a lucky few had the chance to experience. Her fingers contrasted greatly over his and walked she walked them up and down each digit with a swirl around the palm. It was the first time since this all started that she felt actually at peace without a trace thought that she was on the run and in danger.
It felt....nice.
Her eyes were unfocused as she stared out at the passing hills and valleys. "Edward, let's just keep driving. Screw this whole situation."
"I only. You know we'd never be able to stop and live free."
"I can't remember the last time I felt this....happy."
He squeezed her hand, momentarily breaking her concentration of the sights in front of her.
"I could say the same thing myself darlin. Honestly, I thought this was just a one way street for me. That I'd be doing this business until the end. I guess I just accepted it in a way. You do this job long enough, you grow cold. Feelings die out, smothered by what you have to do. Seeing you though. It was like my world was a sterile black and white that's now been blanketed by color. I almost feel as if I had just been born and am experiencing the world for the first time."
"You've never seen the color?"
"Once, a very long time ago. But, it was taken from me."
"What happened?" The words had slipped out before she was able to stop herself, afraid it was an emotional subject.
"Murdered."
Her hand jumped up to cover her mouth. "I'm so sorry, I didn't...."
"It's perfectly fine, like I said, a very long time ago."
She held his hand tightly. Could that be why he's going so far to help me? I'm his blanket of color.
"It was a few months after I first started. I guess I was a little too confident and sort of liked to flaunt my ego a little bit. After a few cases I felt a little untouchable and that kind of stuff goes to your head. In doing so I got a little sloppy and a bit careless. A rather slimy customer who managed to slip out of my grasp had managed to tail me around and found out where I lived. My private life. Who I was with. I wasn't careful enough. One day I came home and....well...after that all I saw and felt was black and white."
"I'm so sorry...I can't even imagine."
"Nothing for you to worry about sweetheart, I'm ready to see the brightest color I've ever seen now."
He smiled at her and she blushed.
Please let this car ride go on forever.
The road continued on and suddenly the trees opened to a large field with a stream cutting around the back of it.
"Beautiful." Her gorgeous brown eyes took in more than they could handle.
He thought to himself for a long moment before something clicked in his head that he didn't normally do. "You know, I think we're ahead of schedule fortunately. Would you like to see it?"
It was like he read her mind. "I couldn't think of anything I'd want more."
He turned the car off the road and down into the field. A few moments later they were out walking across the field hand in hand deep in conversation. She had begun a story about her previous job experience and while it was fun there was a scary element to it.
"That part of the building wasn't used so it was always dark and quiet and I had to pass through there to get to the main station where I worked. Needless to say I ran through every time. I swear I started seeing a ghost right after that."
"A ghost?"
"yeah, a woman in a black dress. Wasn't harmful, almost like she just wanted to watch what I did."
"I've never seen any ghosts, just made people into ghosts."
Their feet eventually reached the bank of the stream and a small waterfall splashed ahead at the other end. The scene was beautiful and a huge contrast to what they had experienced so far. The water moved around in a calm rhythm and provided a soundtrack to drown out the world around them.
"Care for a swim?"
"Sure darlin."
He took her hand and they slowly waded into the water, the warmth collecting around their bodies as they continued on until the level reached their elbows.
"My family never really did anything with pools or oceans. I always wanted a pool in our backyard."
"I've only really been around the ocean for work purposes, I don't know why deadbeats always seem to hang out near the water."
The liquid was soothing and almost metaphorically washed away all the fear and anxiety that had been following all week. He took her in his arms and they kissed. His wet hands went through her hair and the way he pressed her body against his felt like they were designed to fit together. They lost themselves with one another, splashing and kissing and for a rare moment in their desperate chase they had some much deserved fun. He led her to the waterfall and playfully pulled her underneath, the water cascaded down and soaked the both of them. Between the splashes they kisses more and she felt him pull her pants down under the water. It wasn't long before she felt him inside of her and leaned back so that all the water hit her while he pleasured her from under. If this was love then she had never been happier to be mixed up with a briefcase and a crazy friend.
On top of one of the nearby hills behind a particularly thick set of trees was a man in a black suit watching from afar. He chewed a piece of bubble gum and held a radio to his mouth. "About thirty miles from the diner, small stream. Their there, look to be celebrating too. The road matches up with the train's going right on schedule to the station."
The radio buzzed back "Good, I'll inform the boss. Keep eyes on them and report back if they deviate at all."
He turned and continued watching as the couple below continued to make love unbeknownst of his appearance.
A man in a blue button down shirt put down his own radio and placed a few coins in a pay phone. It rang twice before picking up. "Spotted them thirty miles off Hepburn Valley. Got eyes on them, they won't make it to the station without us knowing. You got nothing to worry about."
"Good, see that there aren't any more screw ups. Getting tired of chasing these idiots around and even bigger idiots unable to catch them."
"We don't lose, I'll call back with updates."
He hung up the pay phone and joined two other sharply dressed men in a sedan. "Eagle has spotted them. Shouldn't be too long until we catch up. Buckle in."
The sedan pulled off leaving a large dust trail behind it.
Edward and Meg once they had dried a bit got back into the car feeling better than they ever did. "I needed that like crazy."
"Plenty more where that came from."
"I'm glad. I love you dew drop."
"I love you too." They embraced once more before heading off back down the road. A few moments later another car followed.
"What is that place called so I remember it as one of ours."
He knew the exact name but it was theirs now. "Megels Falls"
"That's a weird and oddly coincidental name."
"Strange how they would name it that isn't it?"
She hit him lightly and they laughed as the car sped up down the road, the sun peeking out behind some clouds as it set for the day.
TO BE CONTINUED
xoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment