The leaves crunched under their feet as they walked through the wet forest. Having the rain slow down a tad was helping the day not seem so grim. It wasn't the comforts of a speeding train with warm beds and clean water but with how things ended up there it could be a lot worse right now. Meg couldn't shake the dream she had had earlier, just the thought of that situation actually playing out was a horrifying thought for her. Her dreams, when she was able to sleep, were getting scarier and she had her fingers crossed every moment she could in hopes that they both made it out of this alive. Edward maintained a brisk pace along the forest floor always keeping his eyes on her as well as surveying the area around them just in case. They had been walking for over an hour now and all they had come across was a few insects and a deer that was more scared of them. The clouds rumbled above threatening more storms and she found herself actually praying to the clouds to just let up with the rain for just an afternoon. They walked up a small hill that led to a cliffside to overlook the terrain ahead of them. There was a large valley and what seemed like an infinite number of trees ahead. Above them was a bridge and she caught the last remnants of the train chugging away as it disappeared through the forest. "We could've stayed on the train. It's not like they were going to kill us or anything. We could've broken out once we hit the station."
"Possibly but I'm not taking any risks, not with you. If there is even a chance that we could get caught or I lose you, I'm not taking it."
"That's very sweet but this walk is going to exhaust us and something else may kill us out here like a fat spider or a moose."
"There isn't much out here, especially in this weather. I don't think we'll have any issues with fat spiders."
Her stomach gargled at her in response to having not eaten since the night before. With energy dwindling she became concerned that she wouldn't have it in her for any sudden action in her weakened state. "What are we going to do for food around here?"
"You're hungry?"
"I could eat."
He stopped and looked around. "We won't be seeing any prepared food for a long time but I can try and catch something for you."
"Kill a poor animal?"
"You're hungry right?"
"Yeah but..."
"Let's keep walking and see what we find, you can decide then."
At least the option is there I guess. To pass the time she began to imagine what her ideal wedding would be like with Edward. Not the most ideal of situations to start thinking of such things but she was positive about this one and it was something she knew would kill a lot of time as she wandered this wasteland. Beach wedding? If she ever sees a beach, it's an idea that managed a quick smile on her face.
Miles away, two men drove down the road at speeds far above any posted limit. The windows were open and the passenger had his feet up on the dash. The driver, a burly man who took up most of the area around the wheel drove on. "Hey Notes, boss usually doesn't track down people with this much intensity. What do they have that's so damn important."
"That's not for us to know. We just handle it and then we get rewarded."
"Yeah. You ever think you'll get out of this business?"
"You thinkin of jumpin ship?"
"Not yet, but the thought is always with me. Maybe one day I want to become a family man."
"You a family man? You're the size of a house, you gonna find someone that will look the other way if you gotta rough someone up?"
"Nah, once i'm out i'm out. No roughing anyone up."
"Yeah right, You're too short of a fuse with matters regarding jerks."
"If they threaten my family then yeah."
"Hey, whatever makes you happy man. Me, I'm good just the way I am. Besides, haven't had much luck in that department anyways."
"You're always with some pretty little thing, what are you talking about?"
"I may be with a bunch but it's never the one. Ya know? Plus I gotta start bein careful, these broads aren't so hygenically worth it lately if you know what i mean."
"Gross."
"Whatever, I don't wanna talk about it. Where we stopping to find these people anyways?"
"The train passes a junction near Frank Wizowski Lane, figure we park there we can hop on the last car no sweat. If Slats hasn't gotten to them yet then we will. They can't run far on a train."
"I'm hungry, we got time for a bite?"
"Hitting the floor with the gas pedal has us pretty far ahead of schedule so I don't see why not."
"You see a cafe you stop. Gotta piss too."
"You're just full of too much information."
"Just drive."
They sped up the road keeping their time far ahead of schedule.
"Hey Edward, can I ask you something?"
"What's that darlin?"
"If it came to it, would you keep going if I died?"
He stopped dead in his tracks. "What kind of a question is that?"
"I just...I've been having some really bad dreams lately and I guess...I guess I'm just scared."
"I cannot imagine my life without you in it. I have no idea how I managed to live it before you but all I can do is imagine it with you after seeing your eyes for the first time."
"You'd move on."
"Not a chance."
"If I died that'd be it for you?"
"I don't think I would last very long with that big a piece of me missing."
"I really want us to make it through this."
"Me too. More than anything."
"Can we stop for a little rest? My feet are starting to cramp and I kinda have to....tinkle."
"Tinkle?"
"Would you rather I said piss?"
He smiled and nodded his head to match her sass. "There's a little clearing up ahead, we can see if there is anything in the area and then find a secluded spot near there."
The rain stopped for a moment but the dark clouds hung overhead with more seeming to be following into the area. The clearing showed no signs of any human contact and just to be extra safe, he found a darkened spot near the opening that was covered with large rocks and underbrush. Making sure it was all safe, they finally allowed themselves a sit to rest. "This good for you Megels?"
"What did you call me?"
Embarrassed, he wasn't quite sure how to respond. Making up a nickname in his head to refer to her himself accidentally slipped out and he wasn't sure how to explain. "Um, just a nickname."
"You made a nickname for me?"
"Uh, yeah. Hope it isn't bad."
"It's adorable. I don't have one for you though."
"Oh, it's not needed." He was still red in the face for having slipped such a nickname to her. But she took it well and the creation of a small special bond was created.
"I think it may be time to eat, Edward."
"Let's follow this little path back here and see if there's any woodland creatures taking up residence."
"Just don't let me see."
The path was narrow but seemed to lead to areas of the forest that they hadn't seen so far which could provide a place for animals to feel safe. He took careful steps to look between and under everything he thought might hide some food. A few minutes passed with nothing to show for it and he wondered if he would be able to feed her. Before the fear truly set in he heard her call from a yard away.
"Uh Edward?"
"You alright? What is it?"
"Maybe this is something that we could find some food at."
He followed her voice and rejoined her next to what looked like a road. Across the road was a small diner with a few cars lined up outside. It was a risk but you couldn't find anything better than that living in the forest.
"Be very careful, but I agree, I'd much rather have what they are offering."
They held hands and crossed over to the diner.
The burly man was glad Notes had shut up for a while and he was able to clear some of his own thoughts. He wasn't a bad guy but he could get exremely annoying fast. The car sped on following the forest when he spotted a small diner. "Hey Notes, found your food, now you can quit complaining."
"Fiiiinally. Thank you."
He slowed the car down and parked in the lot. "Don't take forever, we have a train to catch."
"Oh don't worry, i won't forget about our loving couple on the run."
TO BE CONTINUED.......
xoxoxoxolovexoxooxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment