"Just hold on a little longer darlin, Get out of this barn with me and it'll all be better."
The flames were all encompassing but hadn't fully engulfed the entire barn yet, an exit up above may be their only option but climbing was a bit out of the question. Smoke was starting to obscure their view.
"Real cute, cut off your own exit stupid. I'd love to see what you've got planned next."
One was still alive. Not good. He was right, there was only one exit and that was forward, but how to get around this guy. Meg was starting to get weak from blood loss, he had to get her out of there. He didn't have any weapons so he would have to improvise. He could feel her grip on him loosening, the thought of losing her was too much to bare, there had to be something here to get them out of there. The man was making his way around the fires through any spot that wasn't too hot.
"Poetic for you isn't it? Going out in a blaze of glory."
Edward picked up Meg and carried her to the back corner of the barn and set her down behind a large hay stack. "I'm going to take care of our visitor, my love, please hold on for me."
"I promise."
Starting to worry, he left her there and started scanning the area for anything he could use. He had to get the drop on this guy and get them out of there before the smoke suffocated them both. The only way around this guy seemed to be from above, she couldn't climb but he could. Taking off with a run, he reached the ladder leading up to the overhead loft. Taking it faster than he should have, he scaled the ladder to the very top. A bullet whizzed past his hand and hit the wood near him.
"You ain't making it out of here, climb all you want, you got nowhere to go."
This idiot is willing to sacrifice himself in here just to take me down. He took the ladder faster and reached the top. There was yet more hay and a variety of farming equipment, there had to be something in here he could use. Gunshots started again and pieces of wood started exploding near his feet. Good, now he is going to shoot up through the floor hoping to hit me. Have to keep him on me so he doesn't find Meg. The smoke was getting thicker and ahead of him was a pitchfork and some rope. I think I can make this work.
Below, the man was pacing and looking up towards the ceiling, he walked to the ladder and kicked it over so Edward was stuck up above. Once the ladder banged down on to the ground he noticed little specks of blood that led a trail to the back of the barn.
"Interesting."
He followed the trail and the closer he got to the back of the barn the less smoke he had to deal with making his vision a lot better. Careful not to be caught in another trap, he took careful steps to where the blood was leading him. The spots led to the back corner of the barn and the first thing he saw were legs pulled into a short feminine body. It was the girl. She was wounded and didn't look too good. This was perfect. With his gun held up he turned around the pile of hay.
"Well well well, look at what we have here. Miss runaway finally got what she deserved."
Her breath was slowing. "Screw you."
"Had you been in a little better condition I may have took you up on that offer."
"I can't....tell which you....guys would rather....do.....catch me...or fuck me..."
"Lucky for you you won't have any more trouble with decisions now, nighty night."
He raised the gun to her and suddenly his eyes widened and he froze in place, a few specks of blood hit Meg in the face. With bleary eyes she looked up and the man dropped his gun with a look of surprise on his face. Behind him was Edward holding on to a rope dangling from above and in the other hand was a pitchfork which was firmly through the man in the suit. The man dropped to his knees and fell over dead, Edward running over to her. "You okay darlin?"
"Smoke...I'm warm."
"Just stay with me babe, we're getting out of here."
He picked her up and dodged all the fire he could and ran with her out of the barn. The night provided a much cooler atmosphere and with no smoke he could breath much easier. Her arm was completely red and she was barely keeping her eyes open. No please don't take her, not my angel. He started to run not even sure where he was going. There was a main farmhouse in the center where he was hoping the farmer lived. His eyes were trained on her the whole time watching her begin to pass out. She was still as beautiful as ever. The closer he got to the farmhouse the more he was praying.
"Help! We need help!"
His yells seemed to have been answered as lights came on in the house. The porch was getting closer and the front door opened just as he reached the house. An older man and woman opened the door and saw this man running for them with a woman in his arms bleeding and their barn was on fire.
"What in the hell is going on?"
"Please, she is hurt, I can't lose her, is there any way you can help me."
"What did you do to my barn?"
"I'll pay for all of it and fix it all just please, can you help her."
The farmer looked at him and then at his wife unsure of what to make of the situation.
"Yeah, bring her in, hurry."
He was let in and the farmer helped place her on a sofa while the wife grabbed a blanket and some tools for the husband.
"She's lost a lot of blood, we need to stop the bleeding."
He set her up and pulled her hand away from her arm. So much was happening so fast that Edward felt like everything was moving at a blur. If there was anything he could do to make sure she survived he would do it. He cursed those men from following them, they just wouldn't let up. The farmer seemed to know what he was doing and had applied something to her arm and was using tweezers to pull something out of her wound. He tossed a small silver object into a tray and then put more liquids on the wound. At this point Meg had passed out but he made sure he saw her still breathing. The wound had stopped bleeding and was being stitched up. It all seemed so fast, probably because he was so out of it and panicked. Everything was going a little dark and he had to sit down himself. He reached over and held her hand before everything went black.
A few hours later it was the middle of the night and he awoke in a chair next to a bed. Meg was in the bed sleeping and her arm was bandaged up. The farmer's wife opened the door and noticed he had woken up. "She's going to be fine. She had a bullet in her arm, now I don't want to ask any questions but I am glad she is alright. You need some rest too, I was just checking on you both."
"Very much appreciated ma'am, I owe you everything in the world."
The woman watched as Edward held on to the girl's hand and watched her face. She had seen that look before, it was why she agreed to marry her husband. "You two get some sleep, we'll check on you again in the morning."
"Thank you so much, I am beyond grateful."
The wife left and Edward continued to watch his beautiful girl laying in bed recovering.
"I was so scared I was going to lose you. I don't know what I would have done. I can't tell you the feeling I had when I saw you get hit. A mix of rage at those men and panic at the thought that there was going to be a moment where I wasn't with you anymore. Hopefully you aren't having one of your bad dreams now. We got lucky. If this home wasn't here.....I don't know what we would have done. I love you. Through heaven or hell I am going to get us through this so something like this never happens again and we can live happily ever after."
He squeezed her hand and pulled the chair right up against the bed so that he could rest his head on her. In the quiet of the night he began to sing to her.
"Watch the sky for me,
Watch the night.
I'll be there for you,
In starlight.
I'll be there for you,
In starlight.
As your feet touch the ground,
I'll be floating along
Watch the sky for me...
tonight"
His eyes got heavy and he joined her in slumber. Try as they might, they weren't going to separate or stop them. Once they reached the coast he wasn't going to hold anything back. But for tonight, he couldn't think of any place he would rather be than snuggled up close to her, his survivor. He kissed her on the cheek and laid with her and they both rested into the night, he hoped the next day would prove much easier and maybe, just maybe, they wouldn't be stalked by someone trying to kill them.
Out on the porch, the farmer watched his farm burn down to sinders and slowly go out in the night sky. Whoever they were just about cost him his farm. Suspicion arose but for tonight, let them sleep. But be careful, who knows what else these people are capable of.
TO BE CONTINUED..........
xoxoxoxoloveyouxoxoxoxox
No comments:
Post a Comment