The case stood like a small monolith in the middle of the table. The three sat around it looking at it like it was going to become sentient and spout off wisdom for them all to follow. Each one of them feeling a different emotion towards the object. Meg stared at it with anger, something so stupid causing such a ridiculous journey involving so many people. She was still curious as to how El managed to come into contact with it and get in so much trouble. Edward looked upon it as another job nearing its completion, this one having a much better reward than any other he had taken on. He had gone through many tough jobs like this one including kidnappings and rare artifacts but this one was one for the books. The case itself was old, it had obviously been repaired over the years but the outside of it told a very intricate story that spanned generations. Markings all over it could stand for things or resemble fights, arguments, and many a close call. The latches that closed it were carved into the shapes of dragons where the other side of the clasp came out of their mouths. One of the ears was broken off of one of the faces but the scowl still remained just as opposing. Meg felt a rush of adrenaline to pick it up and destroy it, burn it, just eliminate it from existence. She scrunched her hands together to force her energy somewhere where she could control it. Edward looked at it in such a way that he asked himself if he had anything family heir looms that could have been passed to him that would be this important to him.
"So Smythe, I gotta know, how did you manage to get a hold of it?"
"Well, see that's the crazy part. You know I operate my own little business here too. My guys had caught wind of Price a few years ago, kind of a scum bag with confidence issues. One of my guys worked as a mole as one of his contacts and through the grapevine we come across some information that this girl has something of special importance to Price."
Meg knew immediately. "El."
Edward looked to her seeing acknowledgement on her face. If only her friend had stayed alive so he could have asked her more questions. Found out just what exactly this was all about.
"So, we investigate more and one of my guys gets a little too close to her and finds out that she has some ideas of her own to get ahead in life, pay some loans off, and start a new life with no debt and lots in the bank."
"That sounds like El."
"So I guess Price wormed his way in and made the deal and had this case transported to her. A cool million included. The case was a sort of insurance policy of his. This little object here has been in his family going way back. It has been handed down through generations to all who were deemed worthy and who would inherit the business. He uses it as a way to keep extra security on any business he does personally. You won't get far and the deal won't go south if you're carrying around something that means more to him than life. Better believe he'll keep an eye on you."
"I don't understand, she was giving it back at the party, I was there. Something went wrong and I took the case out of there and I had it at my apartment. Was I under tabs too?"
"Not really no, but like i said, that case was being heavily watched and with so many of us in the business having eyes and ears everywhere it wasn't hard for somebody to watch where the ball went after the play."
"Why not make the deal with Price directly and offer him the case right after that? Why drag us all into this?"
"Unfortunately for some parties involved, we too like to keep our status and our visibility where we've had it. Revealing ourselves would have revealed who we were and compromised a lot of our operations."
"Well your little privacy move cost me a lot of time of my life and physical pain."
"I am deeply sorry for that ma'am. Our intentions were never to hurt and I promise you I will do everything I can to fix the situation."
Meg gave a scoff and Edward took up her hand.
"Speaking of, what's the next move now? When can we hand it all over and wash our hands of all of this?"
"Price has landed in the area just an hour ago, he is searching the train station and airport at the moment for any whereabouts of you or her. What we hadn't counted on is that Dante is also doing the same thing. Seems they have made a deal for the case and are both coming after it with the determination of a bloodhound."
"So we just find them and hand it over."
"It won't be that easy, they will both surely kill you where you stand once they have sight of the case. Once they know where it is, or even seen it, your usage will be no longer required. You two know way too much and pose far too great a risk to them."
Meg had an audible swallow but quickly turned from worried to determined.
"Alright, then we flip the odds on them."
"I beg your pardon?"
"I've been planning something for quite a few days now, ever since you trained me in the woods darlin. We have the case giving us points in our favor. We have what they both want, so why not use that our advantage and get the drop on them? The plan that I've come up with should, hopefully, take care of both of them and put us in a position to take over their businesses."
Edward and Smythe looked impression and curious. It wasn't often you heard someone with such lofty ambitions as to not only give them what they wanted but pull the rug out from under them and take over the whole gang.
"Well I gotta say, sounds pretty interesting to me, go on ma'am."
"Okay, here's what I propose we do."
Meg cleared the table and with some papers and diagrams she unfirled the plan she had been thinking of ever since the day she decided she wasn't going to let them control her life anymore.
"Since I'm the prettiest person here, we are going to go with this plan."
Edward looked at her acknowledging the joking comment and let her continue.
"They both want this case. So I say we give them the case. Not what's inside and not without giving them a taste of their own medicine. Dante doesn't give a damn about the case, so with him we just need to corner him or trick him into meeting us somewhere where we can get the jump on him. He won't be alone I'm sure but if he knows he is meeting let's say you Smythe for the case, you are trustworthy and he won't be as on guard. I'm sorry but you'll need to reveal your home and meet him here, once he sits down to examine the case we can attack him then. Price on the other hand is too eager and impatient to get this case back so I'm thinking he will do whatever he can to get it as fast as he can and be a little reckless about it too. You can use me as bait. I'll bring the case to a location of his choice and deliver it to him. I'm sure he will try and kill me then, that's when I need you to surprise him but that's all, I want Price all to myself after that."
The two men look at one another with no questions coming to either of them, they looked rather joyous.
"Well my friend Edward, if you don't have a problem with this plan, dare say I don't either. It's risky, very risky but this woman has a confidence that is infectious."
"One of the reasons I am head over heels for her. We shall start making plans to enact our final attack right now. Price and Dante will rue the day they decided to come after us."
Smythe brought out glasses and some wine, he poured each one of them a glass and they all raised them together.
"To finally ending this chase of yours and putting two dangerous terrible men in their place."
"To ending the gang's tyranny and my future with the love of my life." Edward joined.
"To finally getting the happily ever after with my dew drop I've been wanting since that day he was on the rooftop." Meg added.
They all clinked their glasses together.
"Let's show these dickbags just who they're dealing with. Let's stop running and start our future."
TO BE CONTINUED..........................
xoxoxoxoxoyourloveiswhatmybestdreamsaremadeofxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment