The contact was to meet them at the train station for when they would have arrived. Seeing as how the train idea hadn't worked out, Edward had ahead of time given the contact some instructions in case of anything going wrong or delaying them. This wasn't the first time he had to make a destination and had some trouble along the way. His contact was an old friend he had remained close with for years now and was someone, the only one, he could put his trust in. The friend had never let him down, never ratted him out, and to this day been the only person he could count on to get things done. The mishap on the train led to various different out of the way stops by walk, car, and back roads so due to the time that had gone by, he knew that the best way to find this friend was at his home. It was a location that was only shared with very very few people, once this home would be found out then nothing would have been safe. There wasn't much traffic out at this time of day and it was the middle of the week so they wouldn't have to deal with the weekend drivers either. The flowers in the car produced a wonderful smell that permeated the interior of the car and the girl produced smiles and a contagious happy mood that permeated his own heart to its fullest. He could tell already that being near the ocean had taken a huge weight off of her shoulders and in turn it rubbed off on him and the combination of it all was making him feel a bit better too. So far so good as they hadn't run into any goons or that asshat Price or Dante. That didn't mean they wouldn't, they had tracked them most of the way anyways. The stop at the gas station brought up a new worry as the Royal Darkness must think that he was responsible for Victoria's death and wanted some revenge. Little did they know, and little would they even listen, that it was her own doing and in a sense what she had wanted all along. They were a bit more resourceful so Edward had to keep a sharp eye out for anyone that fit the tell tale signs of their gang. He flicked on the air conditioning as the temperature was a lot warmer in this part of the world and hearing Meg let out a small sigh of glee told him that it was something she was hoping he would do.
"We are going to meet a friend of mine, he goes by the name Smythe. I've known him for over ten years and he's proven to be the most trustworthy person I've ever met. He's gotten me out of jams and there were a few cases we went on together a few years back. If there is anyone we can count on to be on our side, it's him."
"And he's got the case?"
"He knew where it was, who's hands it landed in. He went to work using his own resources and managed to procure the case himself."
"Oh man, I've never heard better words in my life."
"Oh? Not I love you darlin?"
"Well, those are a given. Those would be my favorite, these are new words that make my ears happy as well."
"He lives up the side of the coastline here near the Ports. He's been living in Orange for a while, he moved around a little just to stay inconspicuous but he generally stays in the same area."
"This whole place is gorgeous. So what kind of person is this Smythe character?"
"Don't worry, he's not a tough person to be around or someone looking to be difficult. One of the most generous people I've met."
"How does someone that nice get involved in such a crazy business."
"You did."
"Not on purpose!"
"True true. It just sort of happened. Situations came up that he needed certain avenues for and he's been involved ever since."
The streets only got nicer and the homes were so grand that she had a hard time believing it was all so real. She was in awe of how clean everything was and how the palm trees accentuated everything, even down to the mailboxes. The road was very forgiving and within no time they had already reached the area where the contact resided.
"Well, we're in the area now. No trouble so far, never can be sure but it looks clear at the moment."
"Probably just watching us."
"I wouldn't be surprised. They want to see where the case is so they are probably just waiting."
"Don't ruin my happy day with talk like that."
"Just want you to be prepared, you can continue to be happy my love."
The streets became very residential until they came up on a large two floored home with a perfectly manicured driveway, Edward pulled in and cut the engine.
"You ready to see this case and get it out of your life for good?"
"Do bears take poops in various woods?"
"Huh?"
"It's a saying. Yes. yes is what I should have said. Yes. Hell yes."
They walked hand in hand up to the front door. Edward looked all around him to see if he saw even a hint of anything that looked out of place or cautious. Once he was satisfied he knocked on the door a few times and they waited in silence.
"This is making me feel a little nervous I'll admit."
"You have nothing to worry about sweetheart. You're the most beautiful thing in the area and I'm going to kiss you because it's been a few minutes since I have and I need a fix."
They kissed until they heard some noise behind the door and a man opened it up. He was average height, normal build and wearing a shirt that had the phrase 'salty life' printed on it. He was tan which brightened up the white cargo shorts he was wearing. Upon seeing Edward at his door, his face lit up.
"Edward! I was starting to worry you weren't going to show! Glad to see ya, how was the trip over to the coast?"
"I don't think there's time enough in the day to explain it all."
"That crazy this time huh? And who is the beautiful lady?"
"This is Meg, she's the beauty who tamed this beast."
"Nice to meet you ma'am. Come on in, I'm sure you're dieing to finally see it."
"Poor choice of words, Smythe."
The group went inside and were led through a nicely taken care of home, the view of the main floor let you see all the way through to the back where a pair of sliding doors led to the backyard where there was a large pool. Meg was loving this place and how everything looked. Smythe disappeared for a little bit to retrieve the case.
"I love this place. We have to live here."
"You want me to move here with you, it's done. I will do whatever it takes to be with you darlin."
"So surreal how I'm about to see the thing that caused all of this to be set into motion. I've been waiting for this day."
"I know the feeling. I'll admit I'm pretty excited."
They held hands and she gave him her nose crinkle smile and he went wobbly for her.
Smythe reemerged from upstairs and sat on the couch opposite them.
"Alrighty, here it is, the object that has everyone on your tail."
He pulled out a briefcase that had seen better days but was fashioned in such a way that you could tell straight off that it was old and probably worth a lot. It was decorated finely and looked heavier than it should be. He set it on the table in front of them with a loud boom and they all looked at it. Meg reached out and touched it.
"This is it. This is the case. I'm almost speechless. We can finally end this and start being happy together. I've never been so happy and relieved to see a briefcase before."
"I'm ready when you are beautiful."
She stared at the case and felt the edges and a slight smile spread across her face.
"Me too dew drop, me too."
TO BE CONTINUED..........................
xxxoxoxooxoxoreadyforthenightmaretoendmyheartbeatsloudlyforyouxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment