Friday, May 4, 2018

I Choose Love

Shock hadn't set completely in for the couple as they entered their hotel room to find their newly recruited partner laying in a chair bleeding out.  The look on Victoria's face matched their own.  She looked pale and the hand that was holding her side was scarlet with blood.  A man in a coat laid behind the door with a gunshot wound to his head.  Didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what had happened.
"They found us.  Probably trying to get the jump on us and ran into Victoria instead."
She was breathing hard and Edward gave her a towel to hold the pressure on herself.
"We need to get her to a hospital."
Meg was panicked and although harbored ill will towards Victoria, couldn't let another person suffer or die if it could be helped.
"I...I...won't make..."  Victoria could barely speak.
"Darlin, I don't think she'll make a trip to a hospital, she's in bad shape."
"We have to try, there's a phone on the desk, information can transfer to the hospital."
She quickly dialed and within minutes an ambulance was on its way.
"Stay with her, I'm going to take care of the body by the door."
Edward made quick work of the murdered man while Meg sat with Victoria, her breathing was labored and the towel was becoming sticky with plasma.  Victoria held Meg's hand.  "I'm...sorry."
"Save your strength, you have nothing to be sorry about."
"It's....all my....fault."
"Nobody is blaming you for anything.  Just hold on and try breathing slow.  The ambulance is on its way."
It wasn't long before they heard the siren of the ambulance pulling down the street.  Paramedics quickly reached the room and carefully put Victoria on a stretcher to be taken to the van.  Edward kissed Meg and led her behind them.  "Go with her.  I'm going to get everything and the car and meet you there."
"Me? You aren't going?"
"I'll be there right after.  I still need to make sure we are okay no matter the outcome to get to the coast."
"I've never....what do I do?"
"Just be there.  It'll mean the world."
"Hurry and don't be long."
"I won't"
As Meg left with the crew, Edward had to scavenge the area to ensure any and all threats were gone and clean up any there were already taken care of in case police came back to investigate.  The girl was shot after all.  The sleuth detective in him immediately found the car keys and what vehicle they went to as well as a collection of four bodies.  The one in the room, two in a room down the hall, and another in the dumpster outside.  Once satisfied with the area he left and drove to the hospital.

Inside the ambulance, a medic was working feverishly to ensure no more bleeding occurred and various tubes pumped liquids into Victoria.  Meg wasn't sure what to do.  There was a person who had tried to kill them and did weird sexual things to her victims, dieing in front of her.  She knew it was karma in a way but a part of her couldn't shake the feeling that Victoria over the past two days was feeling a sense of remorse and regret.  Someone who wanted you dead didn't generally talk about love or being jealous of relationships.  Meg was holding her hand and felt a slight squeeze from Victoria.  Her eyes met her pale face and it motioned downward, her hand edging towards her pocket.
"What is it?"
Victoria couldn't make the words come out but placed Meg's hand on the pocket of her jeans.  Meg reached in and pulled out a folded piece of paper.  Quizzically she looked back and forth between Victoria and the paper before unfolding it.  It was a photo.  In it was Victoria and a man looking very happy.  Looking in love.  There was a look in Victoria's face in the picture that seemed healthier and happier than she ever did.  Meg almost didn't recognize her.  She continued to hold her hand as the paramedic worked and the ambulance screamed down the road.

Dante waited for the line to pick up.  Another man's voice answered.
"This is Dante, I need information and some whereabouts."
"Word travels."
"Royal Darkness."
"Been quiet for a few days.  Sources say Victoria is a stray."
"Not news to me.  I heard dissent when she reached Ormond City on a job."
"I noticed some covert members in that area causing trouble."
"Oh?  And who and why was that?"
"I hear Price is getting impatient and acting on his own."
"That rat.  Undermining me.  I'm going to need all the details on that.  Little shit thinks he can go behind my back."

When Edward was finally able to meet back up at the hospital, he walked into the room that Victoria was being kept.  She was hooked up to an IV and heart monitor while Meg sat to the side watching.
"How is she?"
"Barely stable, the bullet hit some things internally, they're not sure of the extent of the damage."
"I never thought I'd see the day where Victoria of the Royal Darkness would be taken down."
He sat in another chair close by, watching the sheet move as her breathing continued.  There was silence other than the machines for a period of time.
"Darlin I think her head was preoccupied with other thoughts and she was unfocused.  She slipped up."
"She was sounding a little compassionate."
Meg unfolded the photo in her hands and looked at the happy couple.  Turning it over in her hands she discovered a phone number on the back.  Edward leaned back in his chair.  "I just don't know if I believe anything she was saying, I mean, jealous of what we have?"
Meg thought hard to herself.  "I believe her.  I think I understand, give me a minute."
She left the room and asked the desk to use their phone.

Price stood at the airport holding a bag of luggage.  This was out of character for him but his trust and patience were shot.  Tailing the couple was the wrong approach and too many men were being lost in this chase.  He decided to just fly straight to the coast himself and meet them there.  This started with him and it was going to end with him.  He held his bag tightly as his ticket was called.

Just a few hours passed at the hospital and the couple had fallen asleep together.  A light knock woke them a little as a man timidly entered the room.  Meg recognized him from the photo.  Nobody said anything and the man walked up to her bed side looking stunned and upset.
"Vic...I..."
She reached out and held his hand.  It was the first time Meg saw her smile.
"I never thought..Vic...I'm so sorry."
With what strength she had left she shook her head.
"It's never been the same without you.  I was always hoping you'd come back.  To see you like this I....."
She closed her hands around his, tears forming in her eyes.
"I'm so sorry Vic, I never meant to drive you off.  I love you."
Tears were spilling down her cheeks and she struggled to speak.  It seemed to take all of her strength and with tear filled eyes she finally gasped.
"I choose love."   She said.
He felt the strength leave her hand as her head leaned back against the pillow.
The heart monitor beeping to signify that she was gone.
The man laid his head across her chest and cried.  "I've always chosen you."
Meg held on to Edward before nurses filled the room.
"We're going to the coast for our happily ever after my love." She whispered.


TO BE CONTINUED...............
xoxoxoxoximissyousosomuchxoxoxoxoxxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment