Thursday, July 26, 2018

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Temperatures fell across the city and the clouds rolled in around the skies.  The silence of night fell over every street and breaking through the darkness came a single white flake.  December was the last month of the year but it brought with it the happiest and most joyful of all holidays and most beautiful of all weather conditions.  The stores decorated their windows with colorful lights that splashed over the sidewalks an array of rainbow designs.  Handfuls of Christmas songs filled the air in every building and on every radio station bringing in the season with the happiest of glee.  Tinsel wrapped around lampposts and pictures of Santa Claus in every window.  With the conditions just right, a million unique snowflakes fell from the sky in a dance so beautiful that it looked like it was raining crystals from the sky.  Our first Christmas together had arrived and we made sure it was a most memorable one.  The mall job took a turn to run us ragged and morphed into a job that neither of us were happy with.  From late hours to resets that took up our entire night leaving us time to stop at McDonalds and retreat home to watch Are You Afraid of the Dark all night.  Driving behind you when leaving and talking on the phone to see who would make it home first was always looked forward to.  I began to fashion together a group of presents that I was sure you would like and made a final decision to not work at the mall anymore.  With the time freed up I would leave flowers in your car door handle, visit you for lunch, and meet you afterwards to all the jealous comments of the fellow coworkers.  It was always a joy to see your smiling face walk into the grocery store on your way home after work to see me and spend time with me, leaving me on cloud 9 for the rest of my shift.  Nights spent with you were the best as we expanded our interests and had more fun times and memories created.  There are video game nights in particular that always spring to mind, there I was with a hot gamer girl in my room playing games with a smile on her face.  There was something way beyond attractive to see her painted nails pressing those buttons and her eyes staring through her glasses at a level she was trying to conquer.  Her favorite Nintendo game was Ducktales and they had recently remade the game with new graphics on current consoles and I surprised her one night by getting it for her and having it ready for her to play.  This along with another of her childhood games, Mystical Ninja for N64 of which one night she proceeded to show me how to get through the game like she did when she was younger.  She had reached a particularly tough boss, a giant robot, and was doing her best to try and beat it having never done so before.  Concentration was hard and the suspense was killing me when all of a sudden the villain of her past was defeated and she whipped her head around in such pure joy yelling I did it!
Spending time with her on lunches was one of the best parts of my day, any way I could see her more was worth anything and everything to me.  The mall job continued to treat her badly and she ended up pulling a double shift one day, spending the in between longer lunch with her, we took a small detour to the hardware store to pick out a tree that we would use for our Christmas tree.  It was a shorty but had all the qualities of our first tradition together.  We rested in the car for a small nap before taking her back to work, me and the tree driving back home to be set up for later. 
The holiday season holds some of the most special memories for me with the love of my life.  For the first time in my life I could honestly say that I was happier than I thought I would ever be.  Christmas lights were hung along the ceiling of the room to give the room a colorful glow that was calming and festive at the same time.  The tree was set up on the counter that we used to carve pumpkins and a night was chosen to decorate it together.  She had provided an abundance of ornaments and I chose one that would be ours for our first holiday together.  We spent the night decorating while listening to Christmas music, the feeling of sharing in something so special and making it ours made my heart shoot off fireworks.  Words have trouble describing just how perfect the night was.  I had fallen for her with every inch of my soul, just watching her put the ornaments in the perfect places and taking in the fact that I was involved in the start of something we were going to share together.  The snowflakes falling outside, songs playing over the air, lights glowing around us, Christmas truly was the season of love and happiness.


The little things always happen to leave the biggest impressions on the mind no matter how much time passes since they happen or what else occurs around them.   Sticking out most in my head was the white winter hat that she would wear during the winter, her hair would fall out of the side covering half of her face in the most perfect way.  The way you would roll your sleeves up halfway up your forearm revealing your skin and that attracting the butterflies inside me like a field of flowers.  The crinkle of your nose when you would smile at me that spoke words to me without you even opening your mouth.  That crinkle was something we shared between us as a silent I love you.  If I ever am having a bad day I think of that crinkle and my insides feel all funny, giving me a smile for that day.  These days that crinkle is needed more than ever.
Like the snowflakes that fell from the winter sky, there were many little moments and idiosyncrasies that you did that were the world to me.  The way you plugged your phone into your car to charge it while the Bluetooth connected to your car so you could play your music.  The way you would let me sit with you in the morning at the vanity while you did your makeup and I would watch you in the mirror.  You have such natural beauty that you never need makeup.  The way you called your dog Bugaboo and kept your laptop under your bed.  The way we would sit on the couch in your living room and watch TV with your mom before going up to your room for the night.  The way you said my name.  The way you didn't like public affection but always loved it when I held you from behind.  The way you watched me draw in both awe and honest interest.  The way you would smoke and tell me stories.  The way you loved me.
Christmas came with joy abound and we traded our gifts to one another.  I had tracked down a signed Supernatural picture with the signatures of Sam and Dean on it to which you couldn't believe your eyes and then were surprised once more when Luigi's Mansion  was finally in your possession.  We continued our festivities by getting the new super mario game for wii u and having a week of love before the new year where we had wine and Chinese food.  Your favorite being Reisling with the barefoot on it.  Christmas cookies were made at your house with your sister and her friend and while gingerbread houses were attempted, none could stand up to provide proper living for the candy people.  You showed me the ways of the smear, sprinkle, done technique and I took my time to carefully create two cookies of characters from pop culture.



We celebrated New Years with many a kiss at midnight, another holiday of a first being together.  The winter may have brought with it cold temperatures and freezing drives to work but nothing could keep the happiness and love down as long as I was with you.  Every night ending with the phrase 'sweet dreams Megels, nighty night' became the words that escaped my lips before I drifted off to sleep every night.  The rest of the month provided a smattering of small moments from me getting a bad cold and you giving me Nyquil that knocked me out faster and more deeply than a prized boxing fighter TKO'ing me in one punch.  You having issues with the mixing of medicine and alcohol providing a Christmas night at the casino that you always threaten to kill me if I talk about.  Seeing the movie Frozen before anyone and already knowing it was going to be a hit, I'll never forget how much it made you laugh when the snowman's head shot off when he tried to stifle a sneeze.  Cleaning the snow off of your car before you left for work.  Coming home one morning after a morning shift to find you sitting up in my bed playing Banjo-Kazooie.  Going to our first comic con together and feeling like we were actually somewhere where we belonged.  It's an amazing experience going somewhere like that with someone you love and being able to share it the same exact way liking the same things.  The love of my life who I want to take to every comic con instead of concerts.  How proud we were to meet the black ranger.

The year ended with two nerdy gamers who fell in love in the best way possible, brought together by a once in a lifetime series of events that would never have played out the same had one thing been different.  All it would have taken was one decision, one change of mind, one lunch break and the series of events leading to love would never have taken place.  The young boy who would sit at his window after watching a romantic movie that looked to the stars wondering if his one was out there would never have thought that it would actually come true.  And with someone so beautiful.  It brought hope, happiness, and faith by delivering a wish that was called out nightly for years.  Megels was the angel that heard the call and was sent down to touch the heart of this Edward.  No Christmas was ever Christmas unless she was a part of it and it felt like the next chapter of life being with someone and sharing in holidays that started traditions of their own.  When you're young you see your parents doing things and having their own traditions they do every year and you sit and watch wondering if one day you'll be doing the same.  There is a sense of accomplishment once it happens, a feeling like you are on the right path and doing something right.  All it took was one cute girl with a crinkly nosed smile to hold my hand and tell my heart that it found its way and that now it could travel on the path of love to even more memories and traditions and holidays.  The New Year was celebrated with fireworks, kisses, love making, wine tasting, and true love.  She held on to me that night and fell asleep on my chest, clutching on to me like a spider monkey.  Trying harder than ever to not jump out of bed giggling in happiness, I looked out of my window up at the stars and silently whispered "Thank you."
The New Year's resolution forming in my head, to be the best I could to her and have the happiest funnest future. 

The story continues in part 6............

I miss you like crazy dew drop.  Your letter keeps me going through each day.  My heart will always be yours and standing in that door.  I miss our fun times and know there is so much more to be had.  I miss you beautiful and love you with all of my heart.  A future with you is worth anything and any wait.  I am yours always and forever.

Love, Your Edward
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox







No comments:

Post a Comment